ESPN+ has reached an agreement to be the exclusive English- -language home in the United States for the 2019 CONMEBOL Copa America.
The 46th CONMEBOL Copa America will be played June 14 – July 7 throughout Brazil. All 26 matches – from the opening kick to the Final – will stream live on ESPN+, the leading direct-to-consumer sports video service. ESPN+ will also carry the matches in Portuguese.
Copa America debuted in 1916 – 14 years before the inaugural World Cup – and is the oldest and longest-running continental tournament in soccer. The biennial competition features the 10 South American national teams (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela) of the COMNEBOL Confederation, as well as two non-COMNEBOL teams invited to participate. This year, 2022 World Cup host nation Qatar and Japan, which reached the knockout round of the 2018 World Cup, will compete in the tournament.
Many of the world’s top players – Messi (Argentina), Neymar (Brazil), Luis Suarez (Uruguay), Alexis Sanchez (Chile) and James Rodriguez (Colombia) – are expected to lead their respective national teams into the tournament this summer. Chile is the two-time Copa America defending champion.
Soccer on ESPN+
In just a year, ESPN+ has established itself as a must-have service for soccer fans in the U.S. In addition to 2019 Copa America, ESPN+ is home to more than a thousand matches from top leagues around the globe.
- Emirates FA Cup – all 79 matches exclusive in the U.S.;
- Italy’s Serie A, Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana;
- Over 100 live matches from the UEFA Nations League (UNL), the new tournament among the 55-member nations from the Union of European Football Associations played on FIFA international match days;
- MLS LIVE – more than 250 Major League Soccer out-of-market matches;
- Hundreds of matches from English Football League (EFL) including contests from EFL Championship, Carabao Cup, League 1 and League 2;
- The Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup – the longest running domestic cup competition in the United States;
- Top-division leagues from Netherlands, Australia, China, Denmark, Sweden and India;
- International Champions Cup (ICC), the soccer season’s first competition featuring top-tier and championship-winning clubs;
- The United Soccer League (USL).
ESPN+ is the multi-sport, direct-to-consumer video service from The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment and ESPN. It reached 2 million subscribers in less than a year and offers fans thousands of live events, on-demand content and original programming not available on ESPN’s linear TV or digital networks, along with premium editorial content.
Programming on ESPN+ includes hundreds of MLB and NHL games, exclusive UFC and Top Rank boxing events, top domestic and international soccer (Serie A, MLS, FA Cup, UEFA Nations League, EFL Championship, EFL Carabao Cup, Eredivisie, International Champions Cup, USL, A-League, India Super League and more), thousands of college sports events (including football, basketball and other sports), Grand Slam tennis, international and domestic rugby and cricket, new and exclusive series, acclaimed studio shows and the full library of ESPN’s award-winning 30 for 30 films.